NEED STAGING OR DECORATING HELP?

KEEP THE FRESH IDEAS COMING TO YOU!

Angel Wings Stencil on Canvas

I have been wanting to create angel wing project FOREVER! I’ve seen them plastered all over Pinterest in different sizes, made from wood and metal to plastic spoons and everything in between. I had a pretty large space in mind for them and decided doing a raised relief on canvas would be the best way to create my wings. Having been unable to find an angel wing stencil that I liked in the right size, I asked my sweet friend Jo over At Muddaritaville Studio if she could create a custom sized angel wings stencil for me and as always, she was happy to help. Since the stencil was pretty large, it arrived in two pieces.  (UPDATE!!!!  I’m so excited to report that Jo has since updated the original stencil to a single, one piece wing in a size that’s just a few inches smaller than my original) Here is my affiliate link where you can purchase you very own!  https://muddaritavillestudio.com/products/m0108-extra-large-angel-wing-2-part?aff=5
image

The stencil registrations (those two small circles on both stencils) made it super easy to line the top and bottom stencils up and get them positioned just right.
image

I purchased a 36×48 canvas from Michael’s (don’t forget to use a 50-% off coupon!). I painted the base with Fusion Mineral Paint’s Ultra Grip to ensure proper adhesion, then gave the entire canvas a base coat of Fusion’s Ash. Once it had dried completely, I randomly troweled on Modern Masters Metallic Plaster in Tungsten, making sure to leave open areas so the canvas was peeking through. I let that dry overnight.

image

The next day, I played with the positioning of the stencil to make sure I had it in the right spot.  I measured and marked the top of the stencil with a piece of tape (not pictured), gave the back of my stencil a dusting of spray adhesive to ensure that the stencil didn’t shift, placed the stencil back down and used a trowel to apply Modern Masters Texture Effects. When I was happy with the look of the texture, I removed the stencil immediately. I did this 4 times over, once more for the top of the right wing and then twice for the bottoms of both wings. I wasn’t able to photograph it, but I did lay the top stencil back on top of texture once it had dried for a few hours. I did this in order to properly line up the registration marks so that I could then trowel the bottom. You’ll definitely want to allow at least a few hours of drying so the Texture Effects has time to set up a bit.

image

I applied my texture quite liberally and I have to say, one of my favorite things about this product is it’s never cracked or crumbled.EVER. I allowed it to dry over night and gave the wings a light sanding with a 220 grit sandpaper to knock down any peaks. Originally I wanted to keep it simple, so I used Modern Masters Metallic Paint in Champagne.
image

To highlight the details, I custom mixed a Modern Masters glaze and applied it to the wings and the “halo” area right around the wings to give some subtle shading.
image

This is how it turned out…

image

I called this project D-O-N-E, until I’d lived with it for a few days and decided it was too plain. After some serious consideration, I went for it and blinged them out with silver leaf! I added glaze over top and am so pleased with how my stenciled angel wings turned out!

image

The piece works so nicely in my hallway and while it doesn’t quite scream “Ho, Ho, Ho, Merry Christmas!”, it’s definitely a sweet, subtle homage to the holidays.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask away. As always, please feel free to PIN and share. Thanks so much for popping by!

UPDATE…

Just wanted share another pair of wings.  Both the background texture and wings were created using Modern Master’s Texture Effects.  Best.Stuff.Ever!!!

FB_IMG_1443634812914

FB_IMG_1443634816666

Sharing at…

Comments

1. Lindsay says

Beautiful piece! Have you ever used stencils on wood instead of canvas? I was just curious if spray adhesive will leave any marks on the wood? It doesn’t discolour the paint colour on the canvas?
    Thanks!

• SSCharm says

Yes, many times. I don’t always find it necessary to use spray adhesive when doing so though. I usually just hold the stencil in space. Make sure you offload as much of the paint as possible if you plan on rolling. If you do use the adhesive spray, any residue that you might encounter will ball up really easily. Hope that helps.

2. Alice says

This may be one of my favorite projects ever. I love this and would love to try it. I was confused by one thing…you said, “When I was happy with the look of the texture, I removed the stencil immediately. I did this 4 times over, once more for the top of the right wing and then twice for the bottoms of both wings. ” Do you mean you took up the stencil, cleaned it, let the texture dry, put the stencil back down and built the texture up more? Because that’s what I get from “Four times over”. Thanks!!!

• SSCharm says

Hi Alice! Sorry about the confusion. So by four times over, I meant that I had to place each wing part once. The stencil came in two parts, a top and bottom piece, so I placed the top piece twice and the bottom piece twice. I didn’t layer the texture. I applied the texture once. By getting it looking it how I wanted, I meant the actual appearance of the texture. I applied it smoothly, but then decided I wanted it more feather like, so I changed it up a bit. Hope this helps. 🙂

3. Jackie says

Absolutely gorgeous! Where would I find the stencil? I collect Angels and this is just the icing on the cake, so to speak.

4. Peggy says

What a beautiful piece this turned out to be. I have never tried anything like this. I just may have to try something new. Thank you so much for the new inspiration.

5. Flanurse says

This is outstanding! I love it and you have done a wonderful job! I am not very ‘craftsy’ but am inspired to try! Thanks for sharing.

6. livia says

I’m interested in making this. I have a few questions. Can I use any plaster, 9 does it have to be by modern masters? Also on the feather effects the defined lines, when, how and with what do I create them?

7. LIVIA says

Hi
    I’m intersted in making the same project. I have a few questions.
    1. Can it be any kind of plaster or does it have to be modern masters? Can you recommend another brand?
    2. After the plaster, how do you create the feather effects? how? When? and with what do you create the detailed lines on the feather?
    Thank you. Please response I’m dying to create this beautiful project.

• SSCharm says

Hi Livia. Thanks for stopping by! I used modern masters because I wanted to ensure that I wouldn’t experience shrinkage or cracking. If you plan on testing it out using another product, I would definitely do a test on a smaller canvas prior to investing time in a large piece like this one. If I’d created the piece on a hard substrate, it may not have been as much of a concern, but since canvas tends to have some movement, I needed some thing that would have a little flexibility. As for the fester effect, I applied the plaster in the direction that the feathers would go. I also used a real feather as a stamp to get some of those natural imprints. Hope this helps. Good luck! Can’t wait to see your project. xo

8. Deborah says

i just love this angel wing I have to see if a friend of mind can duplicate it ,she a artist also …..

9. Simone Verfürth says

Hello,
    I would so love to imitate the image. Unfortunately, I think the template is no longer at the above address. Can you give me a hand. I’m from Germany.
    Best Regards
    Simone

10. Donna Bryant says

Is this stencil available to purchase? If so where? I love it and the healing center I own, it is the symbol. Thank you if you could help me find this!

11. Roe says

I love your angel wings – please could you explain what you do after you apply the black glaze? Presumably you wipe it off – but what with? Does it come off easily? Do you use white spirit? Many thanks.

• SSCharm says

You can wipe away with anything really. Paper towels or an old t-shirt work well. I also like to keep a wet towel handy, especially if the glaze I’m using doesn’t have a particularly long open time.

12. Carmen says

This is absolutely beautiful. Just order the medium wing. Can’t wait to start.
    I would like to know where you bought the mastic and paints you used on this project. Thank You

13. A. Monique Reif-Dodson says

I love the beauty and peace I get from just thinking about working with wings. I am looking forward to continuing to learn from you with your art. I believe I might have found my niche!!! 🙂 Thank You!!!

14. Diane says

Hello,
    I love your angel wings, they are beautiful. I’m attempting to try this project and I ordered the mm plaster, tintable glaze and the metallic paint. I was wondering what did you mix with the glaze, the directions say “do not mix the glaze with paint” but it can be tinted with standard universial colorants. I’m not sure what that is, can you help me with this? I really appreciate your response.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Client Love

Dorrie is a wonderful resource for realtors/sellers/homeowners really anyone! She is responsive and knowledgeable - highly recommend her!

Anna Powell

Simple Southern Charm
2019-12-27T16:54:51+00:00

Anna Powell

Roni-Veronica Williams Ganoe

Simple Southern Charm
2019-12-27T16:55:24+00:00

Roni-Veronica Williams Ganoe

I was selling my townhome that actually sold in less than 2 weeks, and I really think with Dorrie helping me stage it made such a big difference! She came in and helped me so much, just when you think your house is not cluttered or everything is perfect it’s not, then someone like dorrie comes in and really has the knowledge to help you out, answer questions, stage it to look so beautiful, great with colors, furniture, you name it! I wish I could take her to Charlotre with me to stage my next home. Thank you so much for sending her my way! She is definitely amazing at her job!

Dana P Carroll Lucas

Simple Southern Charm
2019-12-27T16:59:41+00:00

Dana P Carroll Lucas

Everyone that toured our house complemented the decor. Our house was warm and bright and I owe the welcoming and offers to Dorrie’s expertise. She was kind in recommending what belongings worked best for staging and made realistic suggestions for purchasing props or minimal repairs and painting. She was accessible for my questions even down to the final hours. I completely recommend Simple Southern Charm for your home decorating and staging.
Simple Southern Charm
This error message is only visible to WordPress admins

Error: No connected account.

Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to connect an account.